Saturday, May 24, 2008


This morning I had to flag down a taxi to get to the office. My friend’s car is in the repair shop. I immediately noticed the cab’s ashtray was filled with cigarette butts, gum, paper, and candy wrappers. Without hesitation, I reminded the driver that paper trash in the car ashtray, cigarette, cigar or pipe ashes not completely extinguished, or a match not completely out can cause fire to erupt in the ashtray. The driver was so appreciative for calling his attention.

Should this happen to you, don’t panic, first close the ashtray to diminish the flames or even smother the fire. Then pull off the road at the first safe opportunity and extinguish the fire completely.

However, it is a lot easier to prevent an ashtray fire by cleaning it often and dispose of their contents properly. It is not courteous to dump your ashtrays in a public parking area.


Markmanship said...

I'll take note of your advice about car ashtray. Many thanks!

Monchiting said...

I don't smoke and don't have car, so I can't relate to this. I ride with a friend, who doesn't smoke either, pass ako rito!