The Greek onoma and onyma mean name. They belong on the tree of knowledge for a name is something by which a person or thing is known.
In the column on the left are eight English words containing a Greek root meaning name. On the right are the meanings of the prefixes or other roots in these words. Using all eight words, complete the sentences below the lists.
1. Words like bare and bear that sound the same but are spelled differently are called …… nyms.
2. Words like black and white that are opposites are called …. Nyms.
3. The unnamed author to whom most anecdotes are attributed is ……….
4. Names like McDonald and Johnson are called ……onymics because they indicate that the sons are named after the father.
5. Different words like sharp and keen that have similar meanings are called…. Onyms.
6. Another name for punning is ….. onomasia.
7. Words like buzz and hiss made by imitating sounds are examples of ……
8. William Sydney Porter is better known by his …….. onym of O. Henry.
Deep Are the Roots