Many of us are only a step away from becoming victims of the leading cause of off-job disabling injuries--slips, trips, and falls. Take the time now to go over ways to prevent these disabling injuries. Some helpful tips:
- If you use throw rugs in your home, secure them with double-faced adhesive tape or place them over a rug-liner or choose rugs with nonskid backs to reduce the chance of slipping.
- Avoid placing shag rugs around the home, as they can cause falls by getting caught on shoes.
- Arrange the furniture in your home so that they provide open pathways, clear of obstructions.
- Avoid having glass tables, which can be especially dangerous should you trip and fall onto one. Choose instead, sturdy wooden tables with rounded corners.
- Keep your living room floor tidy from things you can trip over like toys, tools, or books.
- Keep all telephone and electrical cords out of walkways, secure them out of the way.