Wednesday, January 7, 2009

MEANINGFUL PHRASES



I
n our reading we will meet not only single words and phrases and sometimes sentences taken from mythology, phrases w
hose full meaning is not revealed unless you take a look behind the mythological curtain.

What does the phrase, "sulk like Achilles in his tent" mean?


During the siege of Troy, Achilles, the greatest of all the Greek heroes, refused to fight because of a quarrel with his leader Agamemnon who had taken away a captive girl awarded to Achilles. Achilles withdrew to his tent and didn't go out to fight until after the death of his friend Patroclus. The phrase means to refuse to participate in an important undertaking because of personal grievances.

H
ow about "the labors of Hercules," what does it mean?


These are superhuman labors and herculean is a word used to describe a superhuman strength. Hercules was sentenced by Apollo to perform twelve labors of extraordinary difficulty.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Tagalog phrases, alam mo ba ang mga kahulugan. Ano ba tawag natin 'don?

Bay Martin said...

Baka Filipino values ang sinasabi mo, like "Bahala na...!"

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Specially the title-deed attracted me to study the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Frases Miticas said...

I slept and dreamed that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I served and I saw that service was joy

Rabindranath Tagore

John said...

fitflop uk
cheap nike shoes
canada goose
michael kors outlet clearance
mbt
christian louboutin shoes
valentino outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
longchamp outlet online
pandora charms sale clearance
20180808yuanyuan