Tuesday, February 26, 2008

DAME JOAN SUTHERLAND

Finally, I was able to get a CD copy of Dame Joan Sutherland’s 1959 recording of Lucia di Lammermoor, a magnificent addition to my collection of grand opera records.

It was in 1959 when Dame Joan Sutherland was invited to sing Lucia at the Royal Opera House, and as soon as she finished singing the final note of the famous mad scene, she was a star, the beginning of her international career.

The CD record displays perfectly her effortless coloratura abilities and high notes, as well as her perfect trill.

Dame Joan Sutherland retired from singing in 1990, but for me, she will always remain a great diva, La Stupenda.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grabe na to! 1959? Kasabayan mo yan no? Hindi pa ako fetus nung year na yun...hehehe.

Bay Martin said...

Sis,

I learned about Joan Sutherland in the 80s no? Her voice is really awesome. I have a good collection of her grand opera recordings, most of them are Decca's.

Bro Bay

Anonymous said...

You really love Dame Joan, and you did not stop searching for her 1959recording of Lucia di Lammermoor!

How about Beverly Sills, do you collect her records, too?

Bay Martin said...

She will always be the best coloratura soprano for me. She sounds so young in the 1959 recording of Lucia di Lammermoor!

I have two LPs of Beverly Sills.